President Obama, Political Correctness, and Radical Islam

President Obama, Political Correctness, and Radical Islam

In a speech at the National Defense University, President Obama kind of admitted what some of us have known for years.  There are radical jihadists among us who would like nothing better than to kill us in the name of Allah.  Mouthing the words of his speech writer, President Obama stated: “.  .  .we face a real threat from radicalized individuals here in the United States. Whether it’s a shooter at a Sikh Temple in Wisconsin; a plane flying into a building in Texas; or the extremists who killed 168 people at the Federal Building in Oklahoma City – America has confronted many forms of violent extremism in our time. Deranged or alienated individuals – often U.S. citizens or legal residents – can do enormous damage, particularly when inspired by larger notions of violent jihad. That pull towards extremism appears to have led to the shooting at Fort Hood, and the bombing of the Boston Marathon.”  Unfortunately, the President and his men are ill-equipped to do diddly-squat about the problem. The reality is that the Obama Administration is hampered by an obsession with political correctness.

This obsession with political correctness impairs the ability of the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Justice to keep us safe.  Whether it’s the new immigration bill (S. 744) opposed by many conservatives, including me, or the current immigration policy, the Obama Administration has not taken the necessary steps to protect us from immigrants from terrorist-sponsoring nations and their American-born converts. Commonsense dictates that we end the practice of holding the door open for individuals from nations that seek to kill us.  Likewise, we must increase our surveillance of individuals from nations that sponsor terrorism and any group or individual with terrorist ties.  Political correctness should not get in the way of protecting the lives of American civilians and law enforcement personnel.

29 Responses to President Obama, Political Correctness, and Radical Islam

1. JulesV29 says:

Carol –

I find it interesting that he reached back in time to the OKC bombing, but neglected to mention the 9/11 event.

Jules

• carolswain says:

It’s interesting to watch the presidential gyrations when it comes to domestic terrorism and the misplaced priorities.

• Rik Cederstrom says:

He is clearly struggling to deflect from the obvious. Islamist jihad terrorists go all the way to the top of threats, with no real competition.

2. eric n. kemer says:

To Prof Carol Swain
    As a Christian Conservative many years forced to live in liberal leftist nyc (a screwed up)corrupt cursed city I wish there were millions more brave. smart and Conservative women.
    (millions are Conservatives and wish there was millions more)
    If you receive this try to reply to send you IMPORTANT articles to read.
    I have a degree in political science and certif. in paralegal
    in regards
    eric n. kemer

3. Jake says:

Jules, it’s interesting that you didn’t bother to read what he said – which began discussion of 9/11 in the third paragraph and carried that theme forward.

4. Bob G says:

Are we past the point of taking effective action? He has been building his castle without significant responses since his first assumption to office.

• carolswain says:

It’s never too late to take action. The first step is being informed about what is happening. We can exert pressure by holding our elected officials accountable, especially members of Congress who have not used their power and authority properly.

5. Bob G says:

Professor Swain,

Are we past the point of taking effective action?

6. Earline McCauley says:

Hello, I “met” you and other Black Conservatives on Sean Hannity’s show this week. I had watched the previous segment as well. It is such a relief to hear from you all. I am a Black female senior, though I don’t feel the years, :>), and have wondered for years, where are the Black Conservatives with a voice. I have shared over the years with friends in my circles the reason why being conservative in our country is important to all Americans, specifically Black people. Every time I hear the President say things that are Anti-American or things that devalue life I get online and start writing and sharing my comments. I would like to recommend the book, “Blindsided” by Dr. Michael Youssef. This book gives a short but excellent background of radical Islam and its motives. Thank you Ms. Swain for being one of the “voices”.

• carolswain says:

Thanks so much for writing. It was great of Sean to give us such an opportunity.

• Pat Kriegel says:

Thank you for the recomendation of Blindsided, I am a grandmother and worried sick about what is happening in our country. Thank you Carol for making the most sense on Hannity last nite, it is a distraction away from what is really going on in the Black community. God Bless you all.

7. Melissa says:

Thank you for standing up for the American people who believe enough is enough. I’m so sick of hearing about the rights of people who want nothing more than to kill us!! Political correctness should not get in the way of keeping us safe, as an officer at a Federal Building I work hard everyday to keep the patrons safe in our buildings. I wish our government felt the same way! Please keep blasting your message!!! Thank you

8. Joseph Kochis says:

Dear Prof Carol Swain,
    I had the pleasure of hearing you speak in Ooltewah, TN. Your talk was truly inspiring and to the point addressing some of the most important issues now facing us Christians who want to preserve this once wonderful country for future generations. Thank you, I shall pray for you, your work and try to support those efforts. May God bless and strengthen your work.

9. Steve says:

Ma’am, you are a breath of fresh air! Thank you and your wise audience for showing the rest of us that there is still hope in this country. There is much work to do but I’m trying to be optimistic that it can improve. God bless you!

10. Jim Washington says:

Political correctness will kill us. As a Security Studies Doc candidate(at a tad over 70) I am hugely concerned that decisions made at the National Command Authority level are a poisonous combo of politically correct and politics driven. It is clear that in addition to making decisions in that context this administration is loaded with international relations amateurs. Result is that we are not respected and every regime which has a view at odds with us will continue to push.

11. Puis Ado Meyer says:

In the modern era ,life is based on two factors[a] common sense and literate sense. Unfortunately common sense is not ”common” because most people are educated, but still as dumb as a mule. Going to school and earning a PHD, does not make you a smart person.
    STEVE JOBS and the very SMART others, who have change the world for good were not ”educated” but have common sense. Many of today’s so call conservatives who are looking for a title to wear on their, sleeves are JOKES. I’m a GEORGE BUSH/RONALD REAGAN AND THE OUR SLAVE FATHERS compassionate conservatives with a soul not wickedness. This is what we call the educated ”illiterate” PHD holders. There is no school that will teach you ”Common sense

12. Michael J Brooks says:

Dear Prof. Swain,
    I realize that you’re not a fan of our current president, but as far as matters of domestic security go, it appears that he has stayed the course established by his GOP predecessor. Your thesis that somehow Homeland security efforts are hampered by political correctness makes for “red meat” resentment among those who hate political correctness (and in many instances, I too, am dismayed at efforts to censor ideas or communication as not being PC); however, the issue at hand is national/domestic security, and there is no evidence that the Departments of Justice or Homeland security are failing to keep us as safe as possible. In fact, ex-patriot and future convict Edward Snowden reinforced our suspicions that the NSA is monitoring everyone and everything worth tracking, which is the smart way to conduct security.
    I suspect you want a crackdown on immigrants from terrorist-sponsoring nations, but neither you nor I know how they are being monitored now. That information is top-secret, and for good reason. Your objection to “holding the door open for individuals from nations that seek to kill us” is quite a sweeping, ill-formed generalization. (Don’t you think the State department thoroughly investigates all applicants and their families now?) By the way, what nations are you referring to? Iran? (My dentist is from Iran; he’s a great guy and a very good dentist.) Saudi Arabia? (our oil buddies that no one ever discusses, and that includes media on the left and your buddies on the right). Iraq? (Many Iraqis risked everything to help us and we’ve been disgracefully slow in allowing them safe passage to the US).
    Plus, I’m a bit surprised by your stauch anti-immigrant stance given your professed Christianity. WWJD does not include building higher barbed wire fences to keep your fellowman out. (Sorry, Prof. Swain, you can’t have it both ways 🙁 Finally, you insist that we must increase our surveillance of those immigrants from nations that sponsor terrorism. Again, can you quantify or describe the current level of surveillance in place right now for these people? I know two people who work at NSA and I used to have a TS clearance myself, but I don’t know (and have no need to know) about those activities. If you don’t know the baseline status quo, how can you demand an increase?
    – Michael J. Brooks, Lt Col, USAF-Ret.

13. Hello Dr. Swain,
    I saw your interview on CNN this morning and it caught my attention. I must say I agree with you in many respects, but I caution that how such an important message is delivered can either detract from it or add to it – my hope is for the latter.

Obviously, there will always be opposition to your message at some level for various reasons. However, as Mat 10:16 says sometimes we have to “… be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.” So, it is my opinion that focusing the message on bringing American people together, supported by clear statistics that testify to job and economic disparity, this is a more palatable and incontrovertible concept than one involving disbanding the NAACP (i.e. whether the point about the NAACP’s lack of relevance is true or not). Given the comment about the NAACP, people are naturally distracted from the more important issue – which I think you really want to gain support for – but are then enthralled in controversy over what they think is a radical assertion to disband a long-standing, historical civil rights entity … all of which is ancillary to the real need.

So, thank you for your courage and faith in wanting to use your gifts to address some of the more important issues the country needs to take action on! Please be careful though, that your passion does not cloud your judgement on what are good ways to get the most mileage for that message.

14. chuck Christiano says:

I want to thank you for stand for what’s right concerning our country. Please stay strong in your faith, we need people with godly perspectives to state their beliefs

15. I grew up very close to your home town, South Boston, Va. I now live in CT.I must say that I an very very ashamed of you and your political views. Sean Hannity is an IDIOT!

16. I grew up being exposed to Black adults being afraid of challenging the White power structure of the time.I guess that is why I am so offended by your seemingly fixation on what you refer to as WHITE NATIONALISM.I see WHITE NATIONALISM as an attempted fear tactic by those that would try and keep power and control in our society without really earning them. I would and will not except not standing up for my RIGHTS because I might offend some White person ,or group of White persons,which unfortunately you seem to infer.
    By the way on a lighter note:Have you been following me?I grew up in So. Boston Va.,about 60 miles from your hometown.I went to college at NCCU in Durham,NC and you at UNC, about 20 miles apart,I relocated to HARTFORD,CT. and you came to NEW HAVEN, CT. about 45 miles apart. I am very sorry that our political views are light years apart.Please no more Sean Hannity…Try Rev. Al instead!!!

17. Jimiq says:

thank you so much for all your hard work. Do you honestly think there will be a 2016 election?

18. Joyce hein says:

Professor Swain,
    Have seen you speak and appreciate what you have to say. If only the word could filter through our communities and the masses would take their blinders off and see this presidency for what it is and it isn’t hope but a lot of change and not the kind we should want at all….

19. Peter Rockas says:

Hi Carol,
    I caught you on a Sunday morning talk show, George Stephanopoulos if I remember correctly, over the discussion of Trayvon Martin. I loved what you had to say in response to the ground swell of breast-beating over Mr. Martin. You were like a lighthouse of clarity in a storm of misplaced sanctimonious attention to the minor, at the expense of major problems, we face as a society. Thank you and don’t ever stop.
    Regards,
    Peter Rockas

20. Leonard Harris says:

Thank you for sharing your opinion, I really like to see the various sides to an argument when it comes to the political parties of the United States. As a younger person, I haven’t really formulated any sense of party affiliation and I always wonder about what goes into the thought process of the political parties in our country. Would you say that as a nation, there is a need to stop worrying about the personal ties and diplomacy we have with foreign countries and people whose views do not align with ours? Why or why not? I am asking because of your statement, “Commonsense dictates that we end the practice of holding the door open for individuals from nations that seek to kill us.”, which left me with need for further insight. Thank you!

21. My tendency since the last election has been to ignore any Facebook post having to do with politics. Most people I know tend to be firmly planted on one side or the other of the fence, and both sides have spewed enough hatred to last me the rest of my life. For that reason, I’ve only just now seen the notification of your post…and I’m glad I did. I couldn’t agree more with what you’ve said.

I tend toward being a conservative, but don’t trust any elected officials as far as I can see them. They all worry about being politically correct, which is the wrong way to run a government. This isn’t a junior high popularity contest. It’s grownup business and if they can’t make grownup decisions, they need to find another line of work.

Our politicians need to stop focusing on skin color and nationality. The fact of the matter is, there is only one race…the human race. Therefore, the only criteria used to judge anyone should be whether or not they will make a good, law abiding citizen. If not, the USA isn’t the right country for them to be….and our politicians need to man up and do the jobs we hired them to do.

22. I am very interested in what you have to say on any subject concerning real history, politics and racism. I have a very mixed family. I deal with insidious bigotry on a daily basis from all sides. I find assaults on political figures empty and racially motivated in the case of Barack Obama. Notwithstanding any factually based accusation, most anti Obama rhetoric comes from white racists folks who, if you were to ask them directly if they were racist would say no. It is incredibly frustrating to point out the error of their perceptions and how their remarks are racist and hurtful. My shins are black and blue from my wife trying to keep me from reacting and defending her blackness. I have yet to find any complaint about Mr. Obama from a white person that is not racially motivated. I know of only one or two friends of mine who can recognize insidious bigotry in themselves and quickly act to make the change when it is pointed out to them. My father, Uncle, and two best friends are almost without bigotry. My mother is working hard on it. My two sisters are closet bigots and don’t even know it. I understand your concerns. I would like to know any supporting facts you might have, what extenuating circumstances there may be effecting Mr. Obama’s decisions or lack thereof which cause you to question his performance. I value your response. Thank you